Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The New Job

I'm sorry, I could be more articulate in this post, but my brain cells are spent. I've been writing the whole day.

I am finding my new work environment incredibly fascinating. So much to say, so little energy left. Just some random observations:

I know the blogging "network" to which I belong - yeah you guys, are at best ambivalent with civil society types who regularly hold protests and rallies. Now that I am in, let me tell you that these rallies are just the tip of the iceberg. If anything, its just a publicity stunt. So much more happens behind the scenes. Real honest-to-goodness lobbying and policy peddling. There's planning and strategising. Almost like launching a war without bloodshed. In a day it is a roller-coaster ride - high one moment and despondent the next. Its almost fun - up until the moment you again realise that the stakes are very high.

The CS networks are deep and huge. Our organisation alone is coordinating with a host of other NGOs.

My work (so far) is a lot like blogging - except I get paid, have to reference, and put my name on what I write. And my audience. Oh boy. My audience are people who can actually make a change.

No comments: