Wednesday, March 15, 2006

V for Vendetta : The Wachowskis Strike Back

(I've endeavored to keep this review spoiler-free.)

I don't know whether it was because it was preaching to my choir or whether I'm having a bad case of PMS, but this movie was so good it made me sob. And no, not because anyone died a painful, tragic death, not because anyone was parted from anyone, not because an innocent was murdered or an injustice commited.

There I sat, seated alone in the midst of strangers, sobbing so hard my hands shook. I never thought the image of folks spilling out on the streets would cause the hairs to rise on my nape and arms and my chest to feel so burdened by a gravity indescribable. Well, maybe the soaring music helped. Or maybe my own prejudices helped. This is the story of the World. Right now. This is a story of purging fears, paralizing limits. This is a story of love and redemption and rebirth. Lovingly shot and colored, passionately written. The Wachowskis, with first-time director James McTeigue at the helm, redeem themselves as true mavericks of American cinema with V for Vendetta.

No comments: