Wednesday, June 30, 2004

You know you're getting old when your body doesn't work the way it used to. It doesn't take as much abuse as it has before and still function properly. I've never been hospitalized my entire life and I've never had to go see a doctor. Not until very recently.

Ok, so it started a week ago when I couldn't go to school because my back, neck and head hurt like hell from what I assumed was high blood pressure. Its the smoking probably. Or the excessive caffeine intake. Or the late nights having sex with my newfound boyfriend. Or the lack of any other form of exercise since I quit going to the gym last year after my father died. Probably a combination of all of the above.

And then I go and contract urinary tract infection. I thought maybe it was the condoms. Horror of horrors I thought my boyfriend gave me an STD. Although it was quite impossible, the thought crossed my mind. But there it was. After texting a couple of med student friends, I self-diagnosed UTI.

It burns when you pee. And you go rush to the bathroom every hour or so. Its incredibly annoying at best and painful at worst. When you're in the throes of love, you don't really think about how unhygienic it is sharing your body with another person. And a man at that. And well, you know how unfinicky men are about their bodies.

"The mouth is the dirtiest part of the human body." So said the OB-gyne I saw yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I love oral sex. But how come nobody told me it can give me an infection? :-/

No comments: